Mobile Infirmary opened the first coronary care unit in Mobile in 1966 and performed the first open heart surgery in 1978. Today, we boast one of Alabama’s most comprehensive centers for the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of heart disease with four heart catheterization labs, three open-heart suites, a 12-bed cardiac intensive care unit and 24-bed surgical intensive care unit.
Because minutes matter in a cardiac emergency, our heart services are centralized in one area—providing immediate access between testing, surgery and critical care units.
Mobile Infirmary’s cardiovascular services include:
- Three telemetry units, plus satellite capabilities, for 24-hour monitoring of patients with cardiac problems.
- More than 3,000 procedures are performed each year, making Mobile Infirmary one of Alabama’s leading hospitals in heart catheterization.
- Clinical vascular lab performs approximately 750 procedures per month to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with vascular disease.
- Nuclear medicine department provides nuclear stress tests which is another way to measure what is going on in your heart.
- Operation Bounce-Back —the largest medically supervised cardiac rehabilitation program in Alabama.